This tasty apple galette recipe makes a terrific side to go with your morning coffee or as a delicious dessert to impress your guests when they visit.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (unsalted, chilled)
- 3–4 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 apple
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/3 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp butter
How to make the crust:
- In a bowl, sift in and whisk the flour and salt.
- Cut the chilled butter into small pieces. Add them in the flour and salt mixture.
- Use a fork or food processor to incorporate the butter to form crumbles.
- Add the cold water and mix until well incorporated.
- Divide the crust dough into small portions and give them a round shape.
- Wrap the galette dough balls with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 40 minutes.
Instructions for the filling:
- Peel and slice an apple into thin pieces.
- Mix the thinly sliced apples with powdered sugar, cinnamon and ginger powder, lemon juice, and salt.
- In a pan add butter and once it melts completely, add the seasoned apple slices. Let it simmer on medium-low heat. Once it sizzles up and the apples have softened, turn the heat off.
How to make the Galette:
- Take out any one of the wrapped dough. Take it out of the wrap and place it on a floured surface, roll out the chilled dough.
- Add a good amount of the filling on the center of the rolled dough.
- Fold a small part of the border dough over the side of the apple filling.
- Now, fold another small part adjacent to first one.
- Continue to fold the border dough until the filling’s border is covered nicely.
- Beat an egg and brush it on the crust of the galette. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and bake the galettes for 20 minutes.